Chief's Office

ABC Licenses

911 Calls

Community Policing

Court Docket

Criminal Investigations




File a Report

Highway Safety


ICE Victim Notification

Inmate Search

Professional Standards

In Memory

Patrol Division

Provide a Tip

Records & reports

Special Enforcement

Sex Offender Search
















How are we doing? 

Do you have a comment, compliment, suggestion, or complaint?

We strive to maintain the highest level of courtesy and professionalism as we serve our community.  Our goal is to provide the best possible service while protecting the life, rights, and property of all.


You May Call:

The on-duty Shift Commander at 304-348-6829

If you are unable to contact the Shift Commander you may call our Records Division 24 hours a day at 304-348-6400 and they will contact the Shift Commander for you. 

You May Mail to:

Charleston Police Department, Attention: Professional Standards Division, PO Box 2749, Charleston, WV 25330

You May E-Mail us


We prefer that you let us have your name, address and telephone number so that we can contact you for more information and/or to keep you updated on our investigation.  However, if you wish to remain anonymous, we will still take and investigate your complaint to the extent necessary.

We realize that it is not always possible to keep everyone satisfied when enforcing laws and trying to do what is best for our community as a whole. However, if you feel that any of our personnel have failed to properly perform their duties or conducted themselves in any way less than professional, we want to hear from you.  It is your right to be heard. As well, we want to have the opportunity to respond

Common Questions about Complaints

Does this mean that the Police Department seeks complaints?

No. However, we want to be told if a job appears to have been done ineffectively, or if there’s an area of service that can be improved.

But will you listen to my complaint?

Certainly, we will listen to your complaint and will investigate it thoroughly.

Who will investigate my complaint?

Either a special investigator from the Professional Standards Division or the officer’s supervisor will investigate a complaint against a member of the department.

But I want to take this all the way to the top. I want the Chief of Police to know.

And he will. The Chief of Police learns of all complaints against officers. Each of the officer’s supervisors are notified as well.

Do I have to give my name to file a complaint?

We will investigate anonymous complaints. However, such complaints can be very difficult to investigate as additional information may be needed, and therefore, the outcome may not be what the complainant expected. Additionally, we cannot notify the complainant of the outcome of the investigation.

Do I have to complain in person?

We prefer to talk to you in person so that your information can be represented more thoroughly, but we will accept a complaint by telephone, letter, or on via this web page. We may need to contact you for additional information to fully investigate your complaint. In some situations, such as a formal complaint, it will be necessary to speak with you in person. This meeting could take place in the police station, at your home, or other reasonable location.

Will my complaint be published in the newspaper?

No. All complaints against department employees are kept confidential by the department. (Unless a court order is issued to the contrary.)

Will the police officer know that I have made a complaint against him or her?

Yes, the officer has a right to know the accusation made against him/her and the identity of the person making the allegation.

Will the department retaliate against me for making a complaint against an officer?

Absolutely not! It is essential to maintain public confidence in the ability of the department to investigate and properly adjudicate complaints against its members.

I’m under 18.  Do I have the right to complain?

Yes. Just bring one of your parents, guardians, or a responsible adult in with you.

What will happen to the officer?

That will depend on the infraction and the outcome of the investigation. If the facts of the investigation reveal improper conduct on the part of the officer, the allegation will be declared sustained.  If the officer’s actions were criminal, the Kanawha County Prosecutor’s Office will be notified of the investigation and will help determine a course of action. If the officer’s actions were improper, but not criminal, corrective action will be taken by the Chief of Police. If the facts of the investigation support the conclusion that the officer’s actions were legal and proper, he/she will be exonerated. Should the facts indicate that your complaint is false, the complaint will be declared unfounded. We will follow the guidelines of the West Virginia Police Officer’s Bill of Rights. You will, in any event, always be notified of the results of our investigation.